“I was wrongly convicted of murder. I spent nearly 17 years in prison fighting my case. When I finally won a new trial, I chose Greg Robey to be a part of my defense team. He found an FBI agent who had worked on the case in the 1980s, along with critical pieces of evidence that we thought were long lost. After a long and very hard-fought trial, I was found Not Guilty of all charges. I owe my freedom to Greg Robey and my defense team.” -R.R., Ravenna, Ohio
How to Find the Right Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you or someone you love is arrested in Ohio, you have some choices in legal representation. A flip through the phonebook or a quick Google search can provide you the names of many criminal defense attorneys. But how do you know which one is right for you? The following tips may help you narrow down your search:
- Look only for an experienced attorney. Hiring an inexperienced lawyer may cost you your freedom. The attorney you choose should have decades of solid experience in and out of the courtroom.
- Make sure you hire a criminal defense lawyer. If you broke your foot, you would not hire a neurologist. The same logic applies when searching for an attorney. There are many types of lawyers — personal injury attorneys, bankruptcy lawyers, labor lawyers, and more. You need someone who focuses solely on defending clients who face criminal prosecution.
- Compare the track records of potential candidates —Look at each candidate’s track record. How often has he or she gone to trial? How many times has he or she won and lost?
- Review client testimonials — Always be sure to check if an attorney has client testimonials. These little blurbs of information can provide you with great insight into how a lawyer treats clients.
- Find someone nearby — Depending on your case, you may need to meet with your lawyer often. Hire someone who is geographically close to you and who is responsive and accessible.
To increase your chances of finding competent counsel, be sure to take your time and research attorneys in your area.